SHTFPreparedness may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
You have just experienced a natural disaster and now you are forced to leave your home in a matter of minutes.
Would it not be best to have all your essentials in one place that you could grab and go without doubting you have everything that you would need?
Getting yourself a great bug out backpack will ensure you are always prepared no matter what. A good quality bag that can hold all the essential items you would need for the next 72 hours.
Now you may be wondering what makes a good bug out backpack…well wonder no more because we have a list of the best bug out backpacks for you in one place.
Our Best Bug Out Backpacks – Reviews and Comparisons
- 【42L Large Capacity Backpack】EMDMAK Tactical Backpack Size Approx. 15.36"x 19.69"x 11.81" (W*H*D), Capacity: 42L. Large capacity assault pack, allowing you to carry all your tactical gears. It can be used as small 3 day assault pack, emergency backpack, bug out bag backpack, combat backpack, range bag, survival backpack, army backpack, molle emt backpack, EDC outdoors backpack, hunting backpack, hiking backpack, camping backpack, travel backpack or day pack for daily Use.
- 【Versatile With Multi-Compartment】Our Military Backpack has 2 Main large compartments, 2 Small compartments in front, and 1 back compartment. The large compartment has an elastic strap to hold laptops or anything you don't want to move around. Each compartments has mesh pocket or zipper pocket to help with organization. Y-Strap on the top allows you to hold more items, like sleeping pad or sweatshirt. And it’s much more convenient to put your gadgets into the bottom side pockets.
- 【Durable & Comfortable】 With dual zippered closure and made of high density double-stitched 900D Oxford & Nylon fabric, this pack is durable water-resistant.The back area & shoulder straps with adjustable chest strap are ventilated mesh padded design, breathable comfortable. Sides and bottom load compression straps system, to adjust and tighten the backpack. The thick mesh padding back area and shoulder straps will not pinch you under heavy duty.
- 【Military MOLLE System】The molle webbing system of tactical backpack is designed for convenient for attaching additional Molle tactical pouches or more gears, 3 Rows of molle velcro areas in front of the backpack, The front & both sides & bottom & shoulder straps come with molle attachment straps, the shoulder straps with two D-rings to hang somethings, and the straps at the bottom can be used to hold a tent & sleeping pad or other outdoor gear.
- 【Customer Service】If there is any question with your EMDMAK backpack, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service, we will do our best to help.
The EMDMAK military tactical backpack is a great option for a bug out backpack. It is a medium sized bag that will incorporate your emergency items with ease.
The general rule is to not carry more than a third of your body weight and this bag will help you keep to a healthy backpack weight. Available in 7 different colors including black and tan you will be able to blend in with ease and not draw attention to the fact that you have essential items with you.
If you are unsure what to include in your bug out backpack then our list of 100 items you forgot to put in your bug out bag will be a great reference for you.
- This is a good sized tactical bag. At 42 liters and with dimensions of 15.36″x 19.69″x 11.81″ (W*H*D) it can fit all your necessary emergency items comfortably.
- It is a versatile backpack with different compartment sizes both large and small. You can find a spot for items of all sizes.
- The backpack is reliable and allows a snug fit. Made of high quality nylon the material is waterproof and durable. With breathable mesh it is comfortable to carry.
- Additional free accessories are included: 1 x Tactical MOLLE 500ml Water Bottle Pouch, 2 x USA Flag Patches, 1 x1.18” Paracord Lanyard Keychain(total length19.68”), 4 x Multipurpose D-Rings Grimlock Locking
What We Like About EMDMAK military tactical backpack
We like the medium size of this bag. It is big enough to fit all your essential items but not too big that is unmanageable to carry.
It is durable and made of high quality material on the outside that lasts through months of regular use.
The extra accessories are a great bonus for preparedness enthusiasts. We like the molle webbing system that allows you to add extra items to the bag as and when necessary.
What We Don’t Like About EMDMAK military tactical backpack
The zippers seem robust at first but after time they tend to break quite easily with little pressure or resistance. The placement of the chest strap is uncomfortable if you plan on carrying any large amount of weight.
The inner pockets are not as durable as the outside and this causes tears after short periods of use.
- Great medium sized bag to fit all items
- Durable and waterproof material on the outside
- Fantastic extra accessories to complement the bag
- Great molle webbing system for extra functionality
- Weak zippers that break easily
- Badly placed chest strap when carrying heavy loads
- Flimsy inner pockets that are not as durable as the outside material
- Capacity: 34L 2073 CU in. Plenty of room to hold your hydration backpack bladder
- Inner Main Compartment: 18" x 10" x 5" Inner Secondary Compartment: 16" x 9" x 3"
- Outer Top Compartment: 5" x 8" x 3" Outer Bottom Compartment: 10" x 8" x 3"
- Material: 600D Polyester Double-Stitched Grab Handle Ventilated Mesh Padding for Strap & Back Area
- Heavy Duty Zippers and Utility-Style Cord Pulls Side and Front Load Compression System
The Exos bravo tactical assault hiking camping backpack is a good smaller choice for a bug out bag.
It still comfortably fits a water bladder as part of your essential items. There are 5 options in terms of colours, including black, tan, grey, olive and grey/black.
There are 4 compartments, 2 inner and 2 outer compartments of varying sizes. It has a double stitched grab handle for comfortable carrying. The bag incorporates heavy duty zippers to keep your items safe and secure.
- A smaller 34L capacity bag. Big enough to house a hydration bladder.
- A backpack with multiple compartment sizes helps to fit all your essentials both big and small. The inner main compartment is 18″ x 10″ x 5″ and the inner secondary compartment: 16″ x 9″ x 3″. The outer top compartment: 5″ x 8″ x 3″ and the outer bottom compartment: 10″ x 8″ x 3″.
- The bag is well ventilated with mesh padding for the back and strap area.
- Side and front load compression system.
What We Like About Exos bravo tactical assault hiking camping backpack
The compact size of the bag makes it easy to carry but big enough to fit all your essential items in. The backpack is hydration ready including a zipper hydration compartment with a tube port.
It includes a military specification molle system that you can use to attach additional storage as necessary.
What We Don’t Like About Exos bravo tactical assault hiking camping backpack
The biggest issue with this backpack is the weak straps. The stitching is poor and with any form of weight the straps break, this is problematic from a bug out bag perspective.
No one wants an unreliable bag that could break when you need it most. For a family this bag would be too small as a bug out bag and would only really be suitable for a single person.
- Compact size that can fit most essentials
- Hydration ready. Can accommodate a hydration bladder with a tube port
- Multiple compartment sizes add to the bags versatility
- Military spec molle webbing system for extra add on storage
- Weak straps that break with any weight
- Smaller size only suitable for an individual not a family
The ARMYCAMO expandable backpack is a very adaptable bag. It ranges in size from a smaller size and is expandable if you need a bigger option. The backpack is very durable and tear resistant.
It is capable of handling high activity but will equally be good for lighter use, it is extremely versatile. With multiple compartments and mesh components it is easy to accommodate all of your essentials with ease.
A big plus is the 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the product.
- A versatile sized bag from a capacity of 39 liters for a smaller option and is expandable all the way up to 64 liters to be able to accommodate more items.
- The bag measures size: 20 1/2″; x 15″ x 7 3/4″ – 12 3/4″ when fully extended. It has an accordion zipper that accommodates the expandability of up to 5 inches deeper.
- It has multiple compartments and zipper pockets to organize all of your items with ease. The bag even has a hydration compartment.
- A durable backpack made with the finest 600 denier polyester makes this bag tear resistant and able to handle very active use.
What We Like About ARMYCAMO Expandable Backpack
The expandability of this bag is one of its best features. As a bug-out backpack, each person’s needs will differ.
This bag is perfect for a single person and family alike with its great sizing options.
The bag has front molle webbing for customizable storage.
The bag is made of good quality and durable material that is able to handle all types of conditions including being waterproof.
It is a comfortable carry with non-slip shoulder straps and an adjustable height sternum strap.
What We Don’t Like About ARMYCAMO Expandable Backpack
While the material of the bag is durable the stitching in certain areas is not the best and it does tend to open up after repeated use.
The zippers on the bag are also not the strongest but also only after repeated use.
If you are using this as a bug out bag in case of emergencies then these issues should not affect you too much.
- Expandability of the bag size makes it very versatile as a bug out bag
- Comfortable carrying with non-slip and adjustable straps
- Made of high quality and durable material
- Front molle webbing allows customizable storage
- Weak stitching in certain areas allows breaks
- Zippers are not the strongest with repeated use
- COMPARTMENTS - Tactical Backpack featuring 16 individual inner and outer compartments, a roomy main storage area, a hydration pocket, padded laptop compartment, large sunglass pouch compartment, and a CCW Conceal Carry Weapon compartment.
- DURABLE - Made from durable 1050D nylon, this military backpack is water-resistant and features self-repairing YKK zippers. Equipped with an adjustable height sternum strap, two external compression straps and contour yoke shoulder strap system.
- TACTICAL - Molle compatible with the wrap-around molle/5.11 slick stick web platform, internal multi-slot admin compartment, hook and loop nametape, flag patches and glove-friendly pull tabs perfect for first responders, PPE, military, or patrol.
- DIMENSIONS Main Compartment 18" x 11" x 6.5", Front Admin Pocket 12" x 9" x 1.75", Hydration Pocket 16.5" x 10", Total Capacity 1476 cubic inch / 24 liter total. Weight: 2.6 lbs.
- NEW 5.11 RUSH 12 2.0 - Can be used as a military or army pack, range bag, hunting backpack, survival backpack, hiking backpack, or everyday outdoor backpack. This assault pack is ready for any rescue or adventure for all of your gear and equipment.
As a single person, you may want a bag that is the perfect size for one. The 5.11 tactical backpack is perfect for you. It is a compact bag with inner and outer compartments for all of your needs.
It includes a laptop compartment, hydration pocket, and conceal carry weapon compartment (CCW). The backpack is durable, water-resistant, and has self-repairing zippers.
It is molle compatible with wrap-around molle as well.
- A compact 24-liter capacity bag that allows for storage of all the essentials. It is a smaller size bag so be sure not to pack unnecessary items. Check out our 17 survival items you don’t need in your bug-out bag to make sure you don’t pack unnecessary items.
- A variety of compartment sizes and options included in and on the bag. This includes a laptop compartment, hidden CCW compartment, fleece-lined eyewear compartment, and a rear hydration compartment.
- Made with durable 1050D nylon this bag is sturdy. It is also water resistant and has self-repairing YKK zippers.
- The bag is molle compatible with wrap around molle for safe storage of your equipment in the diverse ways you may require it.
What We Like About 5.11 tactical backpack
The size is good for a single person for a bug out bag and because it is small it is also lightweight and easier to carry. The bag is made well and very durable and it is aesthetically pleasing too.
The different purpose compartments add to it’s functionality and keeps the relevant equipment safely stored in its place. The molle compatibility allows more versatility in your storage.
What We Don’t Like About 5.11 tactical backpack
While the durability and good quality comes a hefty price tag. This may not be an option for all in terms of affordability. The size of the bag while perfect for a single person it may be too small for a lot of preparedness buffs.
If you want to make sure you have a more comprehensive amount of items in your bug out bag then this bag will be too small for your needs.
- Compact bag great for a single person bug out bag
- High quality and extremely durable
- Specialised compartments and molle compatibility adds to its versatility
- High price tag backpack
- Too small for a bug out bag for more than one person
- Tactical backpack is made of 600D(900X600) high density Polyester, water-resistant and durable.
- Spacious military backpack has one main large compartment, one front detachable bag which you can use as a tactical fanny pack separately, two side detachable tactical backpack accessories bags as hiking sport bags, one flag patch. This multipurpose backpack can flexibly work as a 50L and 60L backpack.
- 50-60L extra large capacity, ample rooms for laptop, survival and hiking gear, and plenty of separate compartments to organize your essentials. Molle system of this military molle backpack rucksack allows you to easily attach outdoor gear, more bags and sleeping pad (water bladder is not included).
- Adjustable dual density ventilated mesh shoulder straps, cinching waist strap, dual compression straps, heavy duty zippers and rain diverting flaps keep your rucksack pack secure and comfortable.
- This multipurpose pack can work as a 72-hour emergency kit, range bag, hunting backpack, army camouflage backpack, 3 day assault pack, survival backpack, hiking trekking camping rucksack, and outdoor backpack.
This CVLIFE tactical backpack is a versatile bag that has detachable smaller bags that can be used as a fanny pack and first aid kit if necessary. The bag is made of enduring polyester material that is high density and water resistant.
It is multipurpose and can be used in a capacity between 50-60L so it is large and diverse. The molle system allows for additional items to be added to the bag with ease as needed.
- A bag with versatile capacity between 50-60 liters that is large enough to incorporate all your emergency items easily.
- There is one main large compartment with a removable front compartment that can be used as a fanny back. The detachable side compartments can be used as a first aid kit.
- The bag is made with durable and water resistant polyester incorporating a molle system that can expand your storage capacity.
- Adjustable straps allow for a comfortable secure fit.
What We Like About CVLIFE tactical backpack
The bag is affordable for its size. The large backpack allows you to incorporate all the items for your bug out bag and more.
If you need ideas of what you would need in an emergency situation refer to the build a kit section on the government ready website to help you better prepare for disasters and emergencies.
The detachable compartments of this bag take its versatility to the next level. The front compartment can double up as a fanny pack and the detachable side pockets can be used as a first aid kit.
What We Don’t Like About CVLIFE tactical backpack
The straps are not as strong as advertised and often break with additional weight, not something you want to happen with a bug out bag. The straps are not placed in the best position and are not easily adjusted to ensure the promised comfort factor.
The zipper quality is also not great, with a few uses the zips often break.
- Good large size bag to incorporate all essential items
- Detachable compartments add to it’s versatility
- Water resistant polyester material of overall good quality
- Molle system allows additional storage capacity
- Well priced for the size
- Poorly designed straps that are not easily adjustable
- Poor quality straps that break easily
- Zips that break after a small duration of use
- Size: 11*11*18.1 inch, 50L (with 2 detachable bags), Can hold laptop up to 15.6"
- Constructed of durable 900 denier polyester, waterproof and more durable than 600D, this tactical pack is for hard use
- Padded and adjustable shoulder strap, Mesh padded back panel is hydration compatible.Molle webbing platform on face and sides for customizing with additional gear
- Contoured shoulder straps with quick release sternum strap and waist strap, waist strap is removable. Main compartment with zip around closure, interior zip pocket and mesh pocket.
- Our tactical assault pack backpack can be used as military backpack, 3 day assault pack, bug out bag backpack, combat backpack, range bag, hunting backpack, survival backpack, rucksack military army backpack or trekking backpack.
This CRAZY ANTS military tactical backpack is a nice mid size option for a bug out bag. It has 2 detachable packs on the side making the bag more multi-purpose.
The bag has a laptop compartment to safely accommodate your laptop. With padded and adjustable straps the bag allows for comfortable carrying.
The bag is hydration pack compatible. It has a molle webbing on the front and sides to accommodate extra gear.
- A midsize bag that accommodates 35-37 liters.
- It has a laptop compartment and hydration pack compatible for up to 2.5 liters in the main compartment and 2 liters in the inner compartment.
- The 2 side compartments are detachable and allow for more adaptability.
- Padded and adjustable shoulder straps for secure carrying.
What We Like About CRAZY ANTS military tactical backpack
A good mid size bag that can incorporate all your emergency essentials. There is a laptop compartment to secure your laptop. The bag is hydration pack compatible for all your hydration needs.
The 2 detachable side compartments add to the bags versatility. The molle system allows for the carrying of additional gear easily.
What We Don’t Like About CRAZY ANTS military tactical backpack
The bag is sadly not waterproof. This is a downside as you do not know the conditions that you will need to use your bug out bag, so this is not great. The durability and quality is questionable with stitching pulling apart after light use and zips breaks as well.
- Nice mid size bag to accommodate all necessary items
- Detachable side compartments are multi purpose
- Laptop compartment and hydration pack compatible
- Good molle system for additional gear
- Not waterproof
- Poor quality and durability
- Stitching that pulls apart and zip breaks after light use
- ✔ CUSTOMIZABLE DESIGN FOR YOUR NEEDS: The Tacticon 24BattlePack is the ultimate outdoor backpack bag with a fully customizable design. Its cross-compatible design and polymer D-rings allow you to add any accessory you need. The collapsible and expandable design lets you adjust the pack’s size to fit your gear.
- ✔ ULTIMATE PROTECTION FOR GEAR: This heavy duty backpack’s ultra-padded laptop compartment, double-stitched seams, and insulated hydration bladder compartment keep your gear safe and secure. Our tactical back pack also offers a built-in universal concealed carry gun holster to ensure your weapon is within reach.
- ✔ SERVICE & SUCCESS – A VETERAN’S LEGACY: At Tacticon - a combat veteran-owned company, we know exactly what it takes to provide reliable and effective equipment. We only release products that we would use ourselves and stand behind them with a ZERO risk purchase policy. We include a 100% satisfaction guarantee with every Molle backpack and also offer a 1-Year warranty with every purchase.
- ✔ MAXIMUM COMFORT FOR YOUR JOURNEY: This tactical gear and camping backpack for men (10”w x 13”l x 19”h) provides ultimate comfort with its padded straps and adjustable size. The empty loop velcro real estate allows you to add morale patches. These features ensure our tactical bag is comfortable to carry even for long periods.
- ✔ 1-YEAR WARRANTY AND 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE! A no hassle 100% satisfaction guarantee with every backpack and a 1-Year warranty included with your purchase. We're a real USA company with real humans answering phones to answer your questions and honor warranty claims!
Often one is left wanting when purchasing a bug out bag after the bag does not live up to expectations. You have an expectation of a military grade bag that you can use as your bug out bag and know it will be reliable when you need it most.
The 24BattlePack tactical backpack is perfect in terms of reliability as the company is veteran owned so you can have peace of mind it is designed with functionality in mind.
A great smaller expandable backpack that has a padded laptop compartment that accommodates larger laptop sizes. Waterproof lining with double stitching keeps this bag secure. It also includes a phenomenal warranty.
- An expandable bag that can go from 20-40 liter capacity.
- It has a padded laptop compartment that can accommodate larger laptops. It also includes a concealed carry gun holster and an insulated hydration bladder compartment.
- Waterproof lining with double stitching and heavy duty, oversized zipper that prevents rain and the elements getting into the backpack.
- 1 year warranty and 100% satisfaction guarantee
What We Like About 24BattlePack tactical backpack
This smaller expandable backpack goes from 20-40 liters with ease. This increases the versatility of the bag and allows it to be used for multiple scenarios.
It accommodates larger sized laptops up to 17 inch which is bigger than the average size with these types of bags.
The bag goes the extra mile to ensure it is waterproof with a waterproof lining, double stitching and heavy duty oversized zipper to keep the bag contents nice and dry. The 1 year warranty and 100% satisfaction guarantee gives you peace of mind.
What We Don’t Like About 24BattlePack tactical backpack
The bag claims to be made in the USA but according to the label on the bag it was made in China. This is false advertising. Overall the quality is ok but certain straps are not easily adjustable and some items tend to break if the bag is used regularly.
- Great smaller sized expandable bag
- Accommodates larger laptops up to 17 inch in padded compartment
- Securely waterproof
- 1 year warranty and 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Not made in the USA as advertised
- Average quality that does not last with regular use
- Certain parts of the bag are not adjustable
- 2.4x Stronger Fabric - durability is not just a feature, it's a guarantee. Rip-proof and water-resistant fabric, crafted to be a fortress for your gear, ensuring safety and security in any environment
- Unmatched Pockets - Designed for supreme organization, this backpack offers you an unparalleled array of extra pockets, ensuring easy access and no more digging through clutter
- Rugged Zippers - Enjoy the smoothness and reliability of our rugged zippers, meticulously stitched by master craftsmen. They glide effortlessly, ensuring easy and reliable access to your gear
- 50L Capacity – Our spacious main compartment opens fully at 180°, accommodating essentials like 8 t-shirts, 2 pants, shoes, a laptop, with ample room left for additional tools and items
- Maximum Comfort - Engineered for any adventure, our backpack features adjustable compression, sternum, and waist straps, helping you achieve a better weight distribution
If organization is top priority for you then the Tactical backpack for men is a great choice. The bag has 7 front compartments and 2 main compartments incorporating laptop and hydration storage.
The bag is made out of lasting material that is both water and UV resistant. It is a larger sized bag with a big capacity but has 8 compression straps that can compress it if you need a smaller bag option. Made by a USA company with a lifetime warranty.
- A large 50 liter backpack with compression straps that can compress the bag to 20 liter.
- 2 main compartments including a laptop and hydration compartment and 7 front compartments perfect for organization.
- Tough material that is 2.4 times stronger than standard bags that is both water and UV resistant.
- Made in the USA with a lifetime warranty against material or craftsmanship defects.
What We Like About Tactical backpack for men
This larger backpack with 50 liter capacity has a great volume to accommodate all your essentials with ease for your bug out bag needs. The multi compartments is an organizer’s dream and keeps all your items where they need to be. The material overall holds up when it comes to the promise of water and UV resistance.
What We Don’t Like About Tactical backpack for men
The bag quality is questionable as stitching seems to come out after prolonged duration of use. This means the durability aspect is not great which is not ideal when using this as a bug out bag.
- A good large volume bag
- Organizers dream with multiple compartments
- Water and UV resistant
- Made in the USA with a lifetime warranty
- Stitching splits after time
- Durability is questionable
All 8 bags are great options for a bug out backpack. They each have their own pros and cons and with a bug out bag it mostly comes down to personal preference and requirements.
What might be a good option for a single person would not work for a family. Some preparedness enthusiasts are more comprehensive in what they want to include for their bug out backpacks and will need a larger option to fit all their essentials.
Overall most of the bags are well priced and of good quality and durability which is what you want for a bug out bag, something you can trust.
Some of the bags have slightly more cons that would deter you in using them as a bug out bag mostly around durability and reliability which is of utmost importance. While you could use any of these as a bug out bag we would still like to give our best recommendation.
A good option that should work for most preppers is the ARMYCAMO expandable backpack. The bag is of a medium size but it is expandable as well, going from 39 liters to 64 liters.
It is made with durable material that is waterproof and tear resistant and is able to handle multiple conditions and terrains. It has many compartments that accommodate organization of all your essentials.
The bag has a front molle system which allows additional gear storage. The shoulder straps are non-slip and with an adjustable sternum height strap, this makes this bag super comfortable to carry.
The slight stitching and zip issues only occur with extended use so as a bug out bag that you will only be needing in an emergency situation this bag will be ideal.
It also has a 100% satisfaction guarantee which gives you peace of mind on the quality of the bag. It also looks almost like a regular backpack which will allow you to blend in with the crowd and not call attention to how prepared you are.
Overall this is our best recommendation for a bug out backpack in 2021.