SHTFPreparedness may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
When you tell people you are making pizza once a week at home they may assume you are buying premade dough or premade crusts.
I am a huge proponent of making pizza dough from scratch at least once a week. I make it and use it. My family loves pizza. This should come as no surprise.
The understanding of dough is a powerful food storage tool. You see, when you know how to turn grain into dough you are able to make food with very little.
Your basic leavened dough will only require water, sugar, yeast, and flour. If you add salt and some kind of fat you will wind up with something much better, of course.
Here is a basic pizza dough recipe for an 8 slice large pizza.
- 4 cups flour
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 packets yeast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 big pinches salt
- Add your flour into a large bowl. Mix in the salt with the flour. Create a nice big well in the center of all that flour.
- At the center of your well add the water, yeast, and sugar. Stir this mix without disturbing the flour and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add your olive oil to this yeast water mix.
- Start to slowly mix in the flour and work it until it comes together. It might not require all of the flour. You are looking for a mix that becomes stodgy and workable.
- Flour your table and dump that dough out onto it.
- Knead the dough for 8 minutes by folding it over itself and pressing it out again.
- Cover the dough with olive oil and plastic and place it in a warm place. Let it rest for another 5 minutes and your pizza dough is ready to go. You can either use it now or freeze it for later!
Bonus: How to Make Pemmican, the Original Survival Food
Invented by the natives of North America pemmican was used by Indian scouts as well as early western explorers.
Native Americans spent a great deal of time on the go and depended on having portable, high-energy, highly nutritious, and filling foods that would last for long periods of time without refrigeration.
Pemmican is a portable, long-lasting, high-energy food. It's made of lean, dried meat that's crushed into powder and mixed with hot, rendered fat. This makes it one of the ultimate foods to have stockpiled for when SHTF or disaster strikes.
People really should avert their gaze from the modern survival thinking for just a bit and also look at how folks 150 years ago did it.
These guys were the last generation to practice basic things, for a living, that we call "survival skills" now.