SHTFPreparedness may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
All the best preppers will know paracord is an essential item to keep in any of your emergency kits.
Paracord has versatile uses for survival purposes and can be used in camping, hiking, setting up structures, and impromptu hunting tools.
Paracord can be used beyond survival purposes for crafting and even fashion, it can be a fun activity for all ages.
For a comprehensive list of uses check out our post on 80 uses for paracord. There are 4 main types of paracord.
The most common type of paracord is a type III paracord also known as a 550 cord because it can hold up to 550lb of weight.
Made up of 7 inner strands, a 32 strand sheath, it has a 4mm (5/32″) diameter. The next commonly used paracord is a type IV paracord with 11 inner strands and 750lb tensile strength.
The other types I and II are not as common, as they have less tensile strength and they are not of as much interest to preppers as they do not have the durability for many outdoor survival applications.
Knowing which card is best for you can be overwhelming with all the options out there.
We have put together our comprehensive list of paracords for 2022 to give you all the best paracord options in one place.
Our Best Paracords Reviews and Comparisons
- PARACORD 550: Paracord Type III (550 lb) has a 100% nylon core. Color: Purple. Length - 200 feet (60.9 m). Made in accordance with MIL-SPEC. Available in 40 colors options. Packaged according to length: 50, 100, 200 or 1000 feet. Scan QR code to get Paracord E-Book. *Please note that colors may vary due to different monitor settings.
With over 40 colour options this paracord can be used for anything from fashion to survival. A type III, 550lb, 100% nylon military spec paracord that comes in various lengths including 50,100, 200 and 1000ft. Made in Europe according to Mil-Spec C-5040H, this paracord is strong and durable.
- Type III, 550lb, 32 strand sheath, 7 inner cords and 3 nylon fibres. A diameter of 5/32-inches (4mm).
- Made in Europe and according to Mil-Spec C-5040H
- Strond, durable and high quality. Suitable in to use in all weather conditions
- Available in over 40 colours and 4 different lengths, 50,100,200 and 1000tf.
What We Like About TECEUM Paracord Type III 550 lb
With the versatile colour and length range, you will be able to find the paracord to suit your needs. This paracord is made according to military specifications and is strong and durable. It is multipurpose and can be used for emergency situations all the way to crafting accessories. It is made to withstand a range of weather conditions and is both UV and fade resistant.
What We Don’t Like About TECEUM Paracord Type III 550 lb
The storage or dispensing of the paracord is not ideal. The cardboard it comes wrapped on is not very convenient for storage purposes. .
- Great colour and length variety available
- Strong, high quality and durable military specification paracord
- Multipurpose from survival to crafting uses
- UV and fade resistant
- Storage or dispensing of paracord not functional
- Have to remove cardboard inner to store effectively
- PREMIUM CORD, PACKAGED ACCORDING TO LENGTH. (50, 100 and 150 footers come coiled in bags, 200 footers on a tube, and 500 and 1000 footers on a spool. 1000 footers may come in up to 2 non-spliced sections. Please See Packaging Images on the Left.) Cord diameter measures 3/16" (+/- 1/32"). We want to be your "go-to" source for great Type 4 750lb Mil-Spec Paracord. Thousands of customers agree this is the best paracord they have ever used!
- PEACE OF MIND. THERE'S NOTHING QUITE LIKE IT. Go ahead, string up a hammock, rig your sails, secure your tent, or make an emergency tourniquet. The extra 200 pounds of strength beats regular 550 cord and is there to protect you when you need it! Our 100% Nylon (11 Triple Strands) TOUGH-GRID cord is never spliced and is made with USA pride and craftsmanship, giving you the great feeling that you got what you wanted and are helping keep America strong.
- TOUGH AS NAILS WHILE SOFT AND FLEXIBLE. Spending time outdoors is a great pastime but can be dangerous. Safety and preparation are critical, especially for the young and old who are much more vulnerable to the elements. TOUGH-GRID Paracord gives you an excellent lifeline when your family needs some strong, lightweight cordage. You can enjoy the outdoors knowing you have the toughest cord around and that it's ready when you are.
- VETERAN RECOMMENDED. With hundreds of reviews from US Military Veterans like these: "They have mine and my family's business for life" "Get Some, see for yourself, Worth the Price" and "This is a Class A Product, It Will Save Your Life!!!", take it from the experts and change the way you camp, hike, survive and make paracord projects. Whether sheltering in place, stocking your bug-out bag, crafting, or surviving a full-blown zombie apocalypse, you'll want enough Mil-Spec cord to cover anything.
- "SEEMS LIKE A NO-BRAINER TO ME!" Use our cord whenever you need super strong, light cordage. You'll be ready for just about anything if you throw a roll in your trunk, keep a hank in your backpack, and even in your toolbox! We like the old saying "It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it." That sums up the prepper / survivalist / Boy Scout spirit pretty well! When you're in need of a strong Genuine Military Grade Paracord, we've got you covered!
If your needs are more robust you may need a type IV paracord. The TOUGH-GRID 750lb Paracord is a great option with a tensile strength of 750lb and made according to MIl-C-5040-H specification.
With 22 colours and 6 different length options, there is the perfect paracord for any use you may have. This paracord is ideal for survival purposes, camping, hiking, bug out bags and sheltering in place.
- Type IV paracord; 750lb tensile strength; made according to MIl-C-5040-H specification. Diameter measures 3/16 inch (plus or minus 1/32 inch): 100 percent nylon with11 inner triple strands
- 22 colours available
- 6 length options available. 50,100,150,200,500 and 1000ft all conveniently packaged
- Made in USA and recommended by veterans
What We Like About TOUGH-GRID 750lb Paracord
The wide range of colours and lengths available means you will find the ideal paracord to suit all your needs. The storage and dispensing is made to be convenient to the length of the paracord.
The shorter lengths come coiled in bags and the longer length on spools so it is easier to store and dispense. The quality and strength of this type IV paracord overall is good. The multipurpose use is great and it is ideal for survival purposes. It is made in the USA and recommended by veterans so it is a paracord you can trust.
What We Don’t Like About TOUGH-GRID 750lb Paracord
The packaging does not always come as advertised and often incorrect length is delivered. The outside of the cord is on the softer side which makes knots not as strong as with a tougher feel paracord
- Wide colour and length range
- Strong and durable typeIV paracord made according to military specification.
- Made in the USA and recommended by veterans
- Convenient dispensing and storage for appropriate length of paracord
- Versatile uses, great for preppers
- Softer outside cord not as robust with knots as rougher paracord
- Packaging not as advertised
- Incorrect length delivered compared to what was ordered
No products found.
Coming in 4 different length options and 23 colour options this multipurpose paracord will be a great addition to any bug out bag. With a variety of uses from dog rope, rigging for a tent, winding handle to hanging clothes. This paracord is made according to the MIl-C-5040-H grade and is classified as a 500lb paracord.
- This nylon paracord has a diameter of 5/32” (about 4mm), with a 7 strand inner-core.
- It comes in 23 colours to suit all needs from crafts to survival to fashion.
- There are 4 length options, 25;50;100 and 500ft.
- This is 550lb paracord and has the average breaking strength of 500lbs
What We Like About BENGKU Outdoor Mil-SPEC 550lb Paracord
This 500lb paracord is strong and durable. With a 7 strand inner core this paracord is robust and is great for outdoor use. With the colour variety it will be great for all uses from survival to fashion. The length options are great for multi purposes uses with the shortest length of 25ft for your more concentrated paracord needs.
What We Don’t Like About BENGKU Outdoor Mil-SPEC 550lb Paracord
We find this paracord is rather stiff and as a result, it knots fairly easily. While this cord is military spec it is not military grade. Have a look at this article for some more detail on Military Grade Parachute Cord vs. 550 Paracord. This paracord also appears to be made in China so quality consistency can be an issue.
- Large selection of colours and lengths available suits all needs
- Tested 500lb breaking strength paracord that is strong and robust
- Shorter length for more concentrated paracord needs
- Versatile uses from fashion to survival
- Paracord is very stiff
- It knots easily
- Not military grade and made in China
No products found.
Although this paracord is listed as a 550lb paracord it actually has a tensile strength of 650lb. It has a 10 strand core making it a stronger paracord option ideal for outdoor use. With a selection of 14 colours, you will be able to find the perfect one for you. Made with high-quality nylon this paracord is both UV and fade resistant for long life.
- 650lb tested tensile strength made with a 10 strand high strength polyester inner core
- Made with top-grade nylon this paracord is both UV and fade resistant making it ideal for outdoor use
- With 4.1mm diameter this paracord comes in one standard length of 100ft and has 14 colour options
- Assurance from seller of great customer service should any issues be encountered with the paracord
What We Like About Balit 550 Paracord
The extra tensile strength of this paracord of 650lb makes this a great strong option. The 10 strands inner core made of high-quality nylon make this paracord great for outdoor use from camping, hiking, survival to general outdoor activities. The paracord is UV and fades resistant giving it long service life. It is a convenient length and easy to add to a survival pack.
What We Don’t Like About Balit 550 Paracord
This paracord is overall one of the best we have seen and there is not much not to like about it. The only real thing we can say is there is a lack of colour options compared to other suppliers and there is only one length option so if you have a need for extra length this paracord would not be for you.
- 650lb tensile strength with 10 strand inner core for extra strength
- Made with high quality nylon
- UV and fade resistant for all weather conditions and a long life
- Compact length and lightweight perfect for survival pack
- 14 colour options is still minimal compared to other paracord options
- Only 1 length available of 100ft
No products found.
With 36 colours, each 10ft long this paracord kit gives you a total of 360ft of paracord. Along with the paracord, there are accessories and an accompanying book that give 4 detailed weaving techniques for paracord beginners.
For a great list of paracord projects have a look at our article 17 cool paracord projects. This is a high-quality type III paracord with versatile uses including crafts activities and outdoor uses.
- 36 colours of paracord. Each of the bundles is 10ft long
- The kit includes accessories for most paracord projects and a book with 4 weaving techniques
- Type III paracord with a diameter of 4mm and a 7-strand inner core
- High quality paracord that has multipurpose use from crafting to outdoor
What We Like About MONOBIN Paracord, 550 Paracord Combo Kit
The wide range of 36 colours ensures you can find the best one for any need you may have. With accompanying accessories and an instruction manual this is a great kit for paracord beginners.
The paracord is of high quality and strength, being a type III. It has versatile uses from paracord craft projects, like bracelets, lanyards and dog collars to outdoor uses like tent draw rope, strapping equipment and clothesline.
What We Don’t Like About MONOBIN Paracord, 550 Paracord Combo Kit
This is more of a kit for a beginner so it may not be suitable for paracord pros. The short length of the paracord is more suitable for certain paracord projects and may not be suitable for all paracord needs.
- 36 colour options gives you a variety of colour options for a range of paracord projects
- Instruction manual great for beginners
- High quality and strength, type III paracord
- Multi purpose uses from paracord projects to outdoor use
- This kit is more for beginners so this would not be suitable for professionals
- Short length may not suit all paracord needs
- Versatile utility: works well for hiking, camping, and a variety of survival tasks, as well as making DIY crafts like belts, bracelets, leashes, and lanyards
- Durable nylon: combines a 32 braided UV-resistant nylon jacket structure and a 7-strand nylon core (each strand made of 3 twisted yarns) for reinforcement
- Reliable: suitable for both wet and dry conditions; provides a natural resistance to oils, acids, and abrasions
- Capacity: not reflective; will sink (will not float) when placed in water
- Dimensions and warranty: measures 100 feet (30.5m) long by about 5/32 inch (4mm) in diameter; backed by an Amazon Basics 1-year limited warranty
An affordable single colour and single length paracord will be a great addition to any survival kit. This 550lb type III paracord is made with durable nylon which is UV resistant. It handles a variety of conditions including wet and dry ones. It has a natural resistance to oils, acids, and abrasions making it a robust paracord. It is backed by an Amazon Basics 1-year limited warranty.
- Available in black, this paracord comes in one length of 100ft long by about 5/32 inch (4mm) in diameter.
- With a 7 strand nylon core and 32 strand UV resistant nylon sheath this 550lb paracord is durable.
- Versatile uses from survival tasks to DIY crafts.
- It can be used in both wet and dry conditions and has a natural resistance to oils, acids, and abrasions.
What We Like About Amazon Basics 550 Type III Paracord
This is a great affordable paracord option. It is small, lightweight and portable at 100ft in length. It is reliable in a variety of conditions. The paracord is UV resistant and made with durable nylon material. It is a type III paracord with versatile uses.
What We Don’t Like About Amazon Basics 550 Type III Paracord
This paracord is not ideal for emergency uses as the inner strands fray very easily. This would not be good for an emergency kit. The paracord is not reflective and will not float when placed in water.
- Affordable paracord option
- Durable UV resistant nylon type III paracord
- Versatile uses in multiple conditions
- Lightweight and portable
- Weak inner strands make it not ideal for emergency use
- Not reflective
- Won’t float in water
- 【Paracord Bracelet Kit】 - Kit include 24 different colors of paracord (as the picture show), each color comes in 10 ft long and 4mm outside diameter giving you a total length of 330ft paracord. These paracords are great for beginners, kids, and adults, enjoy paracord bracelet making and the art of weaving and braiding with these fun colored nylon paracord strings.
- 【Premium Quality Paracord】- Type III Commercial Grade parachute cord are made of high-strength nylon, durable and sturdy. It's 7 inner strands surrounded by a nylon cover with a minimum breaking strength of 550lbs. Ideal for crafting, camping, hiking, military needs, survival, emergency kits, or any outdoor adventure.
- 【24 Bright Colors】 - 24 Assorted Colors. Red, orange, yellow, fluorescent green, blue, sky blue, purple, black, white,etc. You can even fuse two or more colors together to create a unique pattern, or a larger craft like a necklace or lanyard.
- 【Lightweight & Convenient】 - These paracord survival kit is lightweight and can be easily kept in your car, garage, tool box, shed, fishing boat, backpack, hike pack, etc., a must have for hikers, outdoor travelers, campers, and survivalists.
- 【Paracord Crafting Kit】 - You can make lanyards, friendship bracelets, survival bracelets, Field (outdoor) strapping equipment, tent drawstrings, lifelines, luggage ropes, clotheslines, keychains, necklaces, emergency bracelets and much more! You can use two or more colors together to create a unique pattern, or a larger craft like a necklace or lanyard. Search on YouTube video to find more funny usage.
This paracord kit includes 24 colours. It comes in a lightweight, convenient 10ft length perfect for paracord projects. Premium quality type III paracord with breaking strength of 550lbs.
Ideal for crafting and bracelets, the colour varieties will ensure you can make the item of your choice including survival/emergency bracelets, outdoor strapping equipment, tent drawstrings, lifelines, luggage ropes, clotheslines, keychains, necklaces and much more.
- 24 colour paracord kit ideal for crafting
- Each paracord is 10 ft long making it lightweight and convenient to store whether it is in your tool or survival kit
- High quality type III paracord of 4mm outside diameter with 7 inner strands surrounded by a nylon cover
- Multipurpose paracord that can range from jewellery crafting to survival needs
What We Like About Hileyu Parachute Cord 24 Colors
The nice colour variety means you can find a colour to suit your needs. Ideal for crafting and paracord projects colours can be fused together to make a unique pattern. High-quality type III paracord means that it can be used in versatile situations. Its size makes it lightweight and easily stored in any kit.
What We Don’t Like About Hileyu Parachute Cord 24 Colors
There is only one short length option for the paracords so if you have more diverse needs for a longer length this will not be suitable. While the strength of the paracord is good it may not be ideal for all outdoor applications and more suited to crafting.
- Large colour variety
- Ideal for crafting needs and paracord projects
- High quality type III paracord
- Can be used in various applications and environments
- One short length is restrictive on certain applications
- More suited to craft and paracord projects than outdoor uses
- High quality: The reflective paracord with a diameter of 4mm is 7 strands, the average pulling force exceeds 550 pounds, and the reflective paracord with a diameter of 1.8mm is 3 strands, the average pulling force exceeds 176 pounds. The reel made of polymer nylon plastic will make you use the parachute rope very simple and easy to carry and store.
- Versatility: You can also use paracord to make handicrafts, bracelets, lanyards, and usually decorations. It can be disassembled into paracord 550 parachute rope for use when an outdoor emergency occurs.
- WEREWOLVES reflective paracord is ideal for outdoor camping, hiking, car emergency kits, hunting and many other outdoor activities. You don’t know when you need it, but you need to have it.
- When illuminated by flashlights, lanterns or even moonlight, it has a reflective effect and is very eye-catching. At night, the ropes around the camping tent are carefree. It is still a professional parachute rope, so you don’t have to worry about accidents anymore.
- Guarantee: WEREWOLVES is a store specializing in outdoor products, with its own unique achievements in outdoor product manufacturing. If you encounter any problems or dissatisfaction during the purchase process, you can contact us.
This is a great reflective paracord option. With 9 colour choices, 2 diameters and 2 lengths available you are sure to find the perfect paracord for your needs. Conveniently stored on a spool, this paracord is easily dispensed. With versatile uses from crafting to outdoors.
This paracord is ideally used at night and outdoors with its reflective abilities. With the promise of high quality, it includes a 100% money-back guarantee.
- Reflective paracord that is illuminated by torchlight, lantern and even moonlight
- 9 colour options stored conveniently on spools for easy dispensing
- 2 length options of 100 and 200ft.
- 2 diameter options of 4mm diameter with 7 inner strands with 550lbs of tensile strength and 1.8mm diameter with 3 inner strands and 176lbs of strength.
What We Like About WEREWOLVES Reflective 550 Paracord
The reflective ability of this paracord makes it unique and ideal to use outdoors especially for camping. This paracord is reflective in a variety of lighting conditions. The variety of length, diameter and colour mean you will find the ideal paracord for your needs.
It is conveniently stored on a spool which makes it easy to dispense as well. The 100% money-back guarantee gives you peace of mind about the quality of the product.
What We Don’t Like About WEREWOLVES Reflective 550 Paracord
Often when the 4mm 550lb paracord is ordered the thinner less strong 1.8mm 176lb paracord was received. The reflective ability of the paracord is good overall but at certain angles the reflective capacity is not good.
- Reflective paracord in most lighting conditions
- Variety of colours length and diameter make this a versatile paracord
- Spool storage is convenient and easy to dispense
- 100% money back guarantee
- Reflective ability of paracord is only functional at certain angles
- Receive incorrect paracord diameter and strength
- Lightweight and strong 3/32" Diameter (2.4mm)
- 4 strand core with 275lbs Breaking Load
- UV Resistant
- Made in the USA
There are 44 colours to choose from with this paracord. They all come in one standard option of 100ft length. UV resistant, high-quality paracord made in the USA. This paracord is lightweight and easily stored in any kit. It has multipurpose usage from general paracord projects to outdoor needs.
- 3/32″ Diameter (2.4mm) paracord with 4 strand core and 275lbs breaking load
- 44 colour choices all 100ft length
- Made in the USA
- UV resistant paracord
What We Like About US Ropes Atwood Paracord
The great variety of colours for all your paracord projects. Good length of 100ft which is convenient for most needs. Lightweight and easily stored. Good quality paracord made in the USA which is UV resistant.
What We Don’t Like About US Ropes Atwood Paracord
With only one length option available there may not be versatility for all your paracord needs. The strength is of a lower level with a 4 strand core it has just over half of the standard type III paracord weight load capacity at 275lb breaking load.
- Great selection of colours
- High quality paracord made in the USA
- UV resistant
- Lightweight and convenient to store
- Only one length option
- Weaker paracord with a 275lb capacity
No products found.
This is a great paracord kit with 28 colours. This offers a great selection for all your paracord project needs. Have a look at our article, make your own paracord cord locks and knife lanyards for some great ideas on making your own paracord items.
This is a great kit ideal for paracord crafts. It is a standard 550lb paracord in 10ft sections. It can be used in a number of settings for a variety of applications.
- 4mm diameter, 7 strand inner polyester and outer nylon 550lb paracord
- 28 colors available in the kit all 10ft in length
- Multipurpose paracord that can be used in a variety of applications
- Ideal for paracord crafts for various occasions and great for gifts
What We Like About WILLBOND 28 Colors 10 Feet Paracord Cord
A great paracord kit for beginners. The great variety of 28 colors is perfect for paracord crafts. The paracord has a number of uses and can be used for a variety of occasions. The 550lb cord is a standard paracord type suitable for most applications.
What We Don’t Like About WILLBOND 28 Colors 10 Feet Paracord Cord
The paracord lengths do not come as advertised and come up short. The quality of the cord is not great. It comes kinked and twisted with some snags. Quality control for the ends was also not consistent and certain ends needed to be reburned.
- Great beginner paracord kit
- A nice variety of 28 colours
- 550lb paracord, the standard paracord used for majority of applications
- A good option for paracord projects
- Paracord lengths do not come as advertised
- Poor quality and consistency
Paracord is very versatile and is a must for any preparedness enthusiast. Depending on your paracord needs you will find a paracord to suit them on our list. Based on preference and exact usage, the paracord needs to match certain criteria.
For more craft and fashion-based paracord functions, you could easily use a paracord that is not as strong and durable and the variety of colors may be of more interest to you. For survival or emergency purposes you would be more interested in a paracord that has a good quality, durable strength that can handle all the elements.
The versatility of paracord knows no end and the types of paracord available match up to the versatile uses. Many of the shorter length paracord kits that come in a large variety of colours are perfect for beginners and will be ideal for most paracord projects.
Paracord and its multipurpose uses are ideal for kids and adults alike and these options are sure to suit your needs.
Our best paracord for a prepper is the Balit 550 Paracord. This paracord, although listed as a 550lb paracord, actually has a 650lb tensile strength.
Instead of the usual 7 strand cord, this paracord has 10 inner polyester strands giving it extra strength and durability. It comes in the standard 100ft length which will suit most of your paracord needs.
With 14 colours you will be able to find the ideal one for your requirements. While it can be used for crafts and fashion paracord projects as with most other paracords, it is the best recommendation for survival and emergency purposes.
Made from top-quality nylon it makes sure this paracord is of a high standard and gives it long service life. It is UV and fades resistant so it is perfect to use in all conditions and ideal to be used outdoors because of its great quality and durability.
This is a high-quality durable paracord that will be a great addition to any survival kit.