SHTFPreparedness may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Converting a regular toilet to an emergency toilet is easy, cheap, and could bring some normality into any disaster situation.
I am sharing this as I think this could just make a personal or full-blown disaster have some normality.
Hygiene will be paramount to survival alongside food and water… Take advantage of having a toilet and keep the bucket at bay for a while!
- Shut off the water supply.
- Flush the water out of the bowl, it should not refill.
- Line the bowl, under the seat, with a 13-gallon plastic bag.
- Duct tape all of the edges.
- Add a few cups of kitty litter to the bag (read my other article on why stockpiling kitty litter is very useful) or simply pour some bleach in the bottom of it. Alternatively, you can use compost or plain old dirt from your garden.
- Have twist ties handy for daily disposal.
- Cover the entire toilet with a 30-gallon bag to control the odors.
You can also make a portable toilet out of a 5-gallon bucket or an upsidedown traffic cone!
Here are a couple more emergency toilet ideas for you to think about:
Sounds funny but sitting on something while going to the toilet will make you feel more human and less like an animal. 🙂