SHTFPreparedness may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
When disasters strike often one of the first services to be disrupted is electricity. We rely on electricity so much in our day-to-day lives these days that not having electricity for even a short period of time will be challenging for most households.
Having a good generator will definitely aid in being prepared for an emergency. A generator will allow you to be able to run certain essential electrical items until the normal power supply is restored.
There are a number of considerations that need to be taken into account when you are purchasing a generator. One of the biggest factors in considering what you would like the generator to run is in terms of your electrical appliances.
You need to calculate the total load you would need the generator to handle in order to get the generator with the correct capacity. It is important to remember certain electrical items will draw too much power for most household generators to handle.
Many electrical appliances are used for heating like a stove or microwave and these items generally draw too much power for an average generator to handle. For these types of heating appliances, it could be useful to get an emergency gas stove instead.
Have a look at our article 5 ways to heat your home for free to get some more heating ideas.
Another important consideration when selecting a generator for emergency preparedness is the type of generator and how it is powered. Some generators use gas to generate power. Some use an inverter and batteries to generate power. Some are solar-powered.
It is important to consider how the power is generated to know if you will be able to maintain the generator and for how long it can be used before needing to be replenished in the form of more gas, etc.
With these and other considerations in mind, it can be overwhelming to choose the best generator for emergency preparedness but we have a great list to help you make the best decision for your needs.
Our Best Generators for Emergency Preparedness – Reviews and Comparisons
- 【 26000mAh/84Wh High Capacity Battery 】- Solar Powered Generator, 12 years lifespan, cycle more than 3000 times, storage solar generator power to battery with solar panel and supply power to LED light and mobile phone.
- 【 Meet Long Continuous Lighting Needs 】- The generator built-in lights of 2 levels, full charged continue lighting up 64 hours. 3 external lamps with individual switch continue lighting up 40 hours. High brightness up to 140Lumens/W, low consumption.
- 【 Lightweight and Compact】- Portable power station, only 2.1 lbs weight, plug and play. Comes with a handle, easy to carry. Perfect emergency power backup for home and widely applicable to travel, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, expedition for outdoor activities.
- 【 2 Charging Ways 】- Solar panel charging: 4.2V/18W high-quality solar panel, charging 1 day, lighting up to 2.5 days. USB charging: suits for wall plug, battery, car, etc.（TIPS: When charging, please turn on the blue switch)
- 【 Our Guarantee 】 -This solar power generator is reliable. We offer 2 Year Warranty and 90-Day FULL REFUND service if our generator kit doesn't meet your needs! * JUST BUY IT NOW*
One of the best types of emergency preparedness generators is one that is solar-powered. The sun is a steady resource that can assist you in recharging your generator if you don’t have access to electricity for a prolonged period.
This generator is both lightweight and portable. It comes in two capacity levels 42Wh and 84Wh. There are also two charging methods either solar or USB charging via DC wall charging or AC car charging.
This unit is perfect for long continuous lighting needs and the built-in lights can last up to 64 hours. This generator also comes with a great guarantee adding to its reliability.
- A generator with 26000mAh/84Wh high capacity battery with a 12 year life span
- Contains built in lights with 2 levels that can be powered continuously for 64 hours. Also included are 3 external lamps that can be used up to 40 hours
- It takes 5-8 hours to charge using solar (full sunlight) and 6-9 hours to charge via usb
- It weighs 2.1lbs so it is lightweight, portable and compact perfect for an emergency generator
- It comes with a 2 year warranty and a 90 day money back guarantee
What We Like About ECO-WORTHY 84Wh Portable Power Station
This generator is a great option for emergency preparedness. It will take care of your lighting needs for up to 64 hours and has both built-in and external lights for all your lighting needs.
The 2 methods of charging add to the versatility of this generator in a number of emergency situations. The 2-year warranty and 90-day money-back guarantee is a big plus in making sure that you feel secure in your purchase.
It is an overall well-priced unit that can assist with your lighting needs and charging of small mobile devices.
What We Don’t Like About ECO-WORTHY 84Wh Portable Power Station
The recharging of this unit is challenging. You need to ensure the blue switch on the unit is turned on otherwise the unit will not charge at all. Solar charging is also challenging and often takes much longer than the expected recharge time.
After a number of uses, the unit does not charge fully and sometimes does not recharge at all so its longevity is questionable.
- Continuous lighting for up to 64 hours internally and an additional 40 hours with external lights
- 2 methods of charging available for the unit, solar and USB
- Lightweight and portable
- 2 year warranty and 90 day money back guarantee
- Recharging is difficult
- Solar charging takes longer than indicated
- Full charge is not achieved after extended use
- MULTIPLE PURPOSE: This power supply is built in lithium ion battery with 22500mAh(83Wh) power bank which is powerful enough to meet different needs of appliances, electronics, such as cell phone, suit for iPhone, Samsung, Tablet, camera, mattress pump, radio, night light, mini fan and others under 80W.
- COMPACT&CONVENIENT: With the small size(5.7*5.6*2.7 inches) and light weight(2.2 lbs), this mini generator with leather handle design will save a lot of space in your bag or luggage which is really convenient for camping, hiking, fishing, business trip, tailgating party, etc.The portable power station can be used not only for daily life charging, but also for outdoors or wherever energy is needed in case of urgency.
- ULTRA BRIGHT LED: The ultra-bright LED light of the portable power bank has 3 lighting modes, constant, twinkling and SOS mode. Also there are 4 levels of brightness. Working as an essential kit for night lighting and emergency work, it emits a maximum of 7W and 562 lumens for 13hrs on full charge, which can illuminate 215 square feet for your bedroom and office during blackout or power outage. Moreover, in the lowest brightness level which is 0.7W and 40 lumens, it will run for approx. 94hrs.
- 3 CHARGING METHODS: The laptop power charger is designed with 3 rechargeable methods.On the wall, you can fully charge the solar powered bank via AC outlet(adapter included) within 5 hours. And the power station could be recharged by cigarette 12V outlet.Or it can be charged under the sun with MARBERO solar panels (15V-24V, 1.2A).
- MULTI-OUTPUT: This portable generator is equipped with 2*QC3.0 USB port (27W max), 2*USB C (PD3.0, 18W/30W Max). 1*DC ports (5V/4.8A 24W max), 1*AC output (80W running, 120W peak). AC output is designed for laptop, MacBook, fan, CPAP, lamp and etc
This compact generator is a great candidate for an emergency generator. It is lightweight and portable with a convenient carry handle. With a built-in light that has 4 lighting modes and SOS mode, this is ideal for emergency situations.
The generator has multifunctional outputs USB, AC, and DC. It is able to power multiple smaller devices under 80W. With three charge modes, it is a versatile generator and comes with a 24-month warranty for your peace of mind.
- A generator with 83Wh capacity (22500mAh,3.7V) and multifunctional outlets including: 2*QC3.0 USB port (27W max), 2*USB C(PD3.0, 18W/30WMax). 1*DC ports (5V/4.8A 24W max), and 1 AC output socket (80W running, 120W peak).
- Can power smaller devices up to 80W including cell phones, cameras, etc.
- Lightweight at 2.2lbs and compact it comes with a functional carry handle
- Comes with a built in LED light with 4 lighting modes and a SOS function. The light usage time is around 12 hours
- 3 charging methods, 2 adaptors are included, one for wall outlet charging and one for car charging. It can be charged via solar but the solar panel is not included.
What We Like About Portable Power Station, 83Wh Solar Generator
This generator is a great lightweight option and with a carrying handle, it is very portable too. The multifunctional outlets add to its versatility as it allows more devices to be charged on the generator.
The generator can be charged in 3 different ways and comes with 2 adaptors which are helpful to keep the generator-powered up. The built-in LED light with 4 different modes as well as an SOS function is very useful in emergency situations.
What We Don’t Like About Portable Power Station, 83Wh Solar Generator
It is definitely better at charging smaller items like phones. As soon as you try to charge a device with a higher power requirement it does not charge them and loses capacity quickly.
After multiple uses, it no longer reaches full charge which is not ideal for use in emergency situations. The fact that it does not have the solar panel included means it only really has 2 charging methods.
- Lightweight, portable and compact
- 83Wh generator with multifunctional outlets
- Built in LED light with 4 modes and an SOS function
- Capable of 3 recharging modes with 2 adaptors included
- 2 year warranty included
- Only capable of charging smaller devices like phones
- Not capable of full recharge after multiple uses
- No solar panel included for recharging
No products found.
This generator allows for more functionality with a higher power capacity with a 200W capacity it can power up laptops, phones, cameras, and more. It comes with a lithium-ion battery so it is a quiet and eco-friendly generator option.
It comes with AC adaptors to recharge via the car or wall outlet. It also has the capability to recharge with solar but the solar panels are not included. It contains a built-in torch to add to its functionality.
It comes with an LED screen showing power output for real-time readings. The handle and small size make it compact and convenient to carry.
- Larger power capacity of 200W allows for charging of bigger electrical devices
- Comes with a 178Wh capacity lithium ion battery making it a quiet and eco friendly generator option
- Capacity to recharge 3 ways but only comes with 2 AC adapters for wall and car charging, solar is not included
- Includes an LED screen with real time output display as well as an LED flashlight to add to its versatility
What We Like About 200W Peak Portable Power Station
It is a great compact, portable generator with a handle for ease of carrying. With a 200W capacity, it gives you the ability to charge more demanding electrical appliances. With the ability to recharge in 3 ways this is a versatile generator.
The LED screen display gives you important instant feedback on power output and battery status. The built-in LED flashlight gives added benefit as an emergency generator.
What We Don’t Like About 200W Peak Portable Power Station
The unit tends to not be able to keep up charging items and drains very quickly. It does not seem to hold charge well at all.
The capacity to power certain larger, more demanding electrical items is not possible with this generator. It also takes a long time to recharge the unit fully.
- Large 200W capacity for recharging certain larger electrical items
- Compact and portable with handle for easy carrying
- 3 recharge methods available
- LED Display with important data like battery life
- Cannot charge larger items
- Does not hold charge well, drains quickly when charging
- Takes longer than stated to recharge the unit fully
- The Most Reliable Emergency Power Supply: Industry-leading safety and reliability designed with electric-vehicle-grade battery cells. Every unit undergoes 52 reliability and safety tests and is covered by a 5-year limited warranty.
- Long-Lasting Capacity: Each portal power station has 1,002Wh (278,400mAh). Offers up to 7 days of power supply to your crucial devices and home appliances on a single charge.
- Powerful Output: 3 AC outlets with the pure-sine wave, supporting 1000W rated power and 2000W surge power at 110V.
- Wide-Range Compatibility: 2 USB-C outputs with PD 18W, 1 USB-A with 5V/2.4A, 1 USB-A with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, and 1 car outlet with 12V/10A.
- Easy Recharge with Solar Power: Recharge from your car, AC outlet, or with the SolarPower ONE solar panel power generator. 30-second Hassle-Free Setup: Portable, light-weight foldable design with an adjustable kickstand. It takes 30 seconds or less to set up and is ready to provide eco-friendly power supply in any emergency situation.
If you are looking for a generator with a larger capacity then this generator could be the one for you. The solar generator supports 1000W rated power and 2000W surge power.
This allows you to power up bigger appliances such as a refrigerator. Sometimes you may wonder should preppers have a whole house generator?, check out our post to find out.
It has 3 recharging functions including solar and includes solar panels. With a limited 5 year warranty and 52 reliability and safety tests it is a reliable emergency generator option.
- 1000-2000W solar generator that can power your essential devices for up to 7 days
- Wide range of compatibility including USB A, USB C and car outlet
- 3 recharge functions including solar panels for solar recharging
- Higher capacity allows the powering of big appliances such as refrigerators
- Large number of safety and reliability tests and 5 year limited warranty adds to the soundness of the generator
What We Like About Generark Solar Generator For Homes
This generator has a much higher capacity so it can keep much more of your electronics going when you are without electricity. It has a quick hassle-free setup, especially for solar charging.
It is safe and reliable after going through numerous tests and the 5-year coverage gives you additional peace of mind. You can also recharge the generator while charging other devices which is convenient.
What We Don’t Like About Generark Solar Generator For Homes
While it claims to be able to handle all kinds of bigger appliances this is simply not the case. When used with a microwave it automatically shuts down as it cannot handle the power requirements for such heating devices.
Solar charging is not as effective as other charging and takes much longer than indicated. The price tag for this generator is also on the high side and may not be worth the extra money.
- Higher capacity generator able to power larger items between 1000-2000W
- Hassle free setup, compact and portable
- Safe and reliable
- Multiple charging methods
- Unable to handle powering heating appliances effectively
- Long recharge time for solar recharging
- High price tag
- Wide Application: Our 166Wh portable generator is provided with three outputs: two 110V AC outlets charge CPAP machine/tablet/laptop/ camera/drone/ fan etc, three USB ports (2 of them are quick charge ports) help for smart phone/ ipad/GPS and any electronic devices, and two DC ports can be used for vehicle tools like car cleaning and type replacement; Suitable for travel camping, fishing, outdoor activities, medical care and any emergency situations.
- Specific Features: With 45000mAh capacity, pure sine wave, 150W AC continuous power and 200W AC peak power, this power supply pack is able to more stably charge a number of devices for many times; Compact and lightweight design (only 4.5lb) make it more convenient taken outside.
- 3 Ways to Recharge: There are 3 options for you to recharge the large-capacity power bank: the wall outlet, solar panel (not included in package) and 12V car socket. And their accessories like power adapter, cigarette lighter adapter and car charger are all included in the package.KINDLY NOTE THAT THE POWER STATION CAN NOT BE CHARGE AND USE AT THE SAME TIME.
- Safety Performance: This power station is provided with overheat protection, short-circuit protection, low-voltage protection, lock-on protection, over-voltage protection and over-current protection which prevent your devices from damaging and make you use it at ease.
- Portable Power Source: Simple to use, there is a power button on the middle to turn on the generator, so you won’t be pulling any ripcords to turn on it; it will allow you to camp and recharge power without running a noisy, super cool product for your outdoor camping and travel.
A 200W generator that can easily recharge your essential electronics in an emergency. It is a great portable power source with wide applications including AC outlets, USB ports and DC ports.
There are built-in safety systems to ensure the generator is safe and reliable. Safety with generators is of utmost importance. Have a look at safety standards for portable generators to get some more detail around what safety aspects to consider.
3 recharge methods capability you will never be short of being able to recharge the unit. It is simple to use and capable of taking care of your emergency power needs with ease.
- It has three outputs. 2 x 110V AC outlets that can charge a CPAP machine,tablet, etc; 3 x USB ports for smartphones, ipad, etc and two DC ports
- 45000mAh capacity, pure sine wave, 150W AC continuous power and 200W AC peak power gives the unit the ability to charge your items with ease
- It is a lightweight, compact and portable unit that is simple to use
- It includes the following safety measures: overheat protection, short-circuit protection, low-voltage protection, lock-on protection, over-voltage protection and over-current protection
What We Like About 200W Peak Power Station Flashfish
A generator that has a good amount of power in its 200W to ensure you can use your essentials in an emergency.
The wide application allows you to connect multiple items through various connections, including 2 quick charge ports for convenience.
The unit has great safety measures in place to ensure the safe operation of the unit and prevent damage to the unit or your devices.
The LCD display panel allows you to monitor battery levels at all times.
What We Don’t Like About 200W Peak Power Station Flashfish
With this unit, you cannot charge items while recharging and this can sometimes be inconvenient.
While it has solar recharge capability it does not come with solar panels so this will be an added expense.
- Good power capacity at 200W
- Wide application and multiple types of connections
- Great safety measures in the unit
- Simple to use
- Easy to read LCD display panel
- Cannot charge while recharging the unit
- Does not include solar panels
- ▲ GIGANTIC 42000mAh BATTERY WILL COVER ALL YOUR NEEDS: The AIMTOM SPS-155 Portable Generator, which has an IMMENSE 42000mAh 155Wh power capacity, is ideal for powering appliances at a campsite, a tailgate party, home improvement projects or can even double as a flashlight for emergencies.
- ▲ ONE POWER GENERATOR FOR ALL YOUR DEVICES: Power up your laptop, stereo or any other home appliances via the 110V/100W AC outlet. Use the 3 x 5V USB outputs to charge your mobile phone, iPhone, iPad, GPS or action cameras while the 3 x 12V DC outputs are perfect for car refrigerators, fans and more.
- ▲ TAKE YOUR POWER SUPPLY WITH YOU ANYWHERE: Even though our power station features a HUGE 42000mAh lithium battery, it weighs ONLY 3.48lbs. Plus, the comfortable and ergonomic handle will make carrying your outdoor emergency power sources a breeze. Just slip it in your car trunk and embark on your next adventure.
- ▲ SO QUIET, EFFICIENT POWER: Rest assured that your portable battery will not disturb you or your loved ones, since it utilizes a built-in power inverter and runs quietly. It can be recharged via supported solar panels (Not included), car port, or AC wall outlets. Its built in MPPT controller automatically optimizes charging process and maximizes power extraction from solar panels under all conditions.
- ▲ ADVANCED BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM: The built-in BMS protects you against overcurrent, overvoltage, and over-temperature, ensuring the safety of you and your devices and prolonging battery life. It also features a built-in cooling fan to avoid overheating when charging.
This lightweight and portable generator with a 42000mAh battery and 155Wh power capacity is a great emergency generator. It has an ergonomic handle making it easy and comfortable to transport.
You can use one generator to power all of your essential devices with AC, DC, and USB outlets. The battery uses a built-in inverter making it a quiet generator option. It has a battery management system to protect against overcurrent, overvoltage, and over-temperature and your battery life.
- Lightweight at 3.48lbs, the unit is also portable with an ergonomic handle
- Multiple outlets including AC, DC and USB
- Quiet operation with a built in inverter
- Battery Management System to protect your devices and the battery
What We Like About AIMTOM 42000mAh 155Wh Power Station
It is a great lightweight unit less than other units of this size. It contains a surprise flashlight for emergency use adding to its versatility. It has 3 recharge methods giving you diversity in repowering the unit.
The multiple outlets including AC, DC, and USB means this generator is an all-in-one solution. The battery management system protects the unit’s battery as well as your devices. It is a quiet option with its built-in inverter.
What We Don’t Like About Product Name AIMTOM 42000mAh 155Wh Power Station
While 3 recharge methods are listed only 2 adapters are provided. Solar panels are not included and if you want this functionality it will come at an extra cost.
The unit takes a long time to recharge and requires a very stable power source to recharge so in the case of emergencies or even camping this may not be easy to achieve.
- 42000mAh battery and 155Wh is sufficient power for your essential needs
- All in one generator solution with multiple outlets
- Lightweight, portable and ergonomic handle
- Battery management system helps protect the unit and your devices
- Solar recharge is not possible without additional investment
- Long recharge time
- The need for a stable power source for recharging
Generators come in all different shapes and sizes and they can suit whatever your power needs maybe but that usually comes at a cost.
The more powerful the generator, the more expensive it is.
When looking for an emergency generator you want something that is compact, portable, rechargeable in multiple conditions.
You want something that can power your essential items but that is still reliable.
Like with most emergency items each person will have different needs.
Some people will feel the need to access bigger more power-hungry appliances and will need a bigger generator to power them.
Others will need the basics, some lights, and maybe to charge a phone so their power and generator needs will be minimal. While there are vast generator options out there we have covered our best options to suit a multitude of needs.
Our overall best option for an emergency generator that will suit most people’s needs is 200W Peak Power Station Flashfish. It has a great capacity of 200W and 45000mAh capacity which will be able to power all of your essentials and more.
With three types of outlets including AC, DC, and USB the generator will be your one-stop for all your recharging needs.
With 2 quick charge USB ports, this will help keep your devices fully charged in record time.
It is lightweight, portable, and simple to use making it a great option for emergency use. The agronomical carry handle allows you to transport the generator with ease and comfort.
With extra safety measures in place including overheat protection, short-circuit protection, low-voltage protection, lock-on protection, over-voltage protection, and over-current protection you can have peace of mind this unit will be secure.
The unit is well priced and in line with other units of this size and capacity.
The LCD display panel is a helpful addition showing battery level, input charging power, AC and DC output indicator. With its 3 recharging methods it gives more versatility to this generator.
While adaptors included are only for wall charging and car charging it does have the capacity to be recharged via solar.
The solar panels are not included but can be purchased if you would like the functionality. Overall this unit is really value for money and will keep you and your family powered up in an emergency.