SHTFPreparedness may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
When you’re out in the field, hiking, camping, hunting, or trekking, there’s one piece of kit that’s more essential than any other: a survival sleeping bag.
With a range of options available at the market at varying price points and qualities, today we’re going to help you to know what to look for when researching the best survival sleeping bag for you.
Before we talk about what makes the best survival sleeping bags and where you can find them, let’s talk a little bit about what a survival sleeping bag is. A survival sleeping bag is a lightweight, compact piece of kit designed to save your life in a survival situation.
The keyword here is survival, these are not sleeping bags rated for comfort, but their ability to keep you warm enough when off-grid in an emergency survival situation, and prevent the onset of hyperthermia.
Typically constructed from a single sheet of thin and lightweight reflective material, the idea of a survival sleeping bag is to reflect the user’s body heat back and prevent it from escaping.
This means when using one, you can slowly let your own body heat build-up within the bag and form a protective shield of lasting heat around your body.
There are a few key factors to look out for when it comes to survival sleeping bags. First up and most importantly, how well does it reflect your heat?
We call this a survival sleeping bag or blankets reflective body heat value, and a good survival sleeping bag should reflect at least 80% of your body heat back at you.
Weather resistance; also important is a survival sleeping bag’s weather resistance, that’s water, wind, and snow.
Survival sleeping bags are usually made from a water-resistant and wind-resistant polyester material, meaning they can often be useful for shelters as well as sleeping bags.
Functionality; the best survival sleeping bags on the market come with multiple configurations and functions, some come as blankets that can be used as a sleeping bag, but also as a tarp for a rain cover to protect your camp or gear, some can be set up for use as a bivvy style shelter, and some can be used as all three.
Durability and quality; another key factor when choosing your survival sleeping bag is how well it’s going to fare in the field.
An emergency sleeping bag that rips as you open it is going to be of no use when it comes to any life-saving scenarios.
But the best survival sleeping bags come with super-strong polymerized material that can withstand tears and punctures, meaning they can be reused and massively increase their dependability in a survival situation.
Additional features; look for extra features when searching for the best survival sleeping bag for you.
Some come with little stuff sacks, making them great for using again and again, whilst always keeping them safe and protected in your pack.
Some have whistles on the drawstring of such sacks, innovative addition to such a life-saving piece of kit.
And some come equipped with paracord for use as a shelter, or even grommets in the corners, making them much more versatile options when it comes to configuring different types of shelters.
So with all that in mind for what you need to look for when deciding which survival sleeping bag is best for you, let’s jump straight into it, here’s our best survival sleeping bags, reviews, and comparisons.
Our Best Survival Sleeping Bags Reviews and Comparisons
1. Go Time Gear Life Tent Survival Shelter
No products found.
Constructed of extra-thick, tear, and puncture-resistant material, the Go Time Gear Life Tent Survival Shelter is a lightweight and durable survival shelter and sleeping bag for up to 2 people.
The Life Tent Survival Shelter from Go Time Gear will protect you from wind, rain, and snow, and is one of the best survival sleeping bags we’ve found.
The Life Tent can easily be set up like a tube tent or bivvy-style shelter that’s able to reflect back up to 90% of your body heat back at you.
- Up to 2 persons
- Durable, tear resistant material
- 90% reflective body heat value
- Waterproof and windproof
- Can be used as a sleeping bag or shelter
- Comes with 20ft of 550-pound nylon paracord for use as a bivvy style shelter
- Features a 120 decibel survival whistle attached to the drawstring of its stuff sack
- Waterproof nylon stuff sack
- Available in orange or green
- Weighs 246g
What we like about the Go Time Gear Life Tent Survival Shelter
It’s used as either an easy-to-set-up tube tent or a survival sleeping bag give this survival sleeping bag the highest functionality on our list.
Others have additional functionalities, but the Life Tent’s wrap-around design so completely seals your body in a reflective bag that it’s the most likely to save your life in an emergency or survival situation.
We also especially like its additions of the paracord and survival whistle, meaning this tiny pack comes with all you need and will make an excellent addition to a bug-out bag.
What we don’t like about the Go Time Gear Life Tent Survival Shelter
Due to its durable, extra-thick material, the Life Tent Survival Shelter from Go Time Gear is one of the largest on our list when packed down, but even this is still a small and compact addition to an emergency preparedness kit.
- Its use as both a shelter and sleeping bag make this a versatile piece of kit.
- This is the only survival sleeping bag on our list for up to 2 persons.
- The included survival whistle comes attached to the stuff sack so can’t be lost and can pierce through forest and wind for up to 1 mile, its 120-decibel rating makes this a powerful survival whistle.
- The Life Tent Survival Shelter from Go Time Gear is available in both an orange or green finish. Making it useful as an emergency blanket in a survival situation as the orange will assist in search and rescue, but also being fit for stealth camping for those off-grid trips where you’d rather stay under the radar and rely on your gear and skills to keep you alive.
- The Life Tent Survival Shelter from Go Time Gear features no anchoring points for use as a tube tent or bivvy bag style shelter, requiring you to weigh the corners down with rocks or gear, this could be uncomfortable or reduce its wind resistance from not being so taught as if it were tied down, but shouldn’t interfere with its heat reflective capabilities.
- Pack size is not as small as others on the list but still very lightweight and compact.
2. Nano Heat Blanket by AMK
- Blanket measures at 67 x 58 inches and weighs 6.8 ounces
- Spill proof DWR coating sheds spills, water, sand or dirt right off the blanket to remain clean
- Soft and warmest fabric blanket in category with efficient heat reflectivity - 80%
- This compact blanket can fit in the palm of your hand and is easy to store for any travels
- Perfect for concerts, picnics, ballparks, planes, camping, or a just-in-case moment
The Nano Heat Blanket from AMK is one of the smallest on our list, making it an excellent addition to an ultralight backpacking pack, your bug-out bag, or a survival kit.
But don’t let its size cast any doubts, the Nano Heat Blanket holds up when it comes to its life-saving ability and use as a survival sleeping bag.
Though it’s not a true sleeping bag, the Nano Heat Blanket can be used as a sleeping bag, or as a ground tarp to sit on, to protect your gear, or even to make a shelter for protection from the wind and rain.
The Nano Heat Blanket boasts an 80% reflective body heat value and is water and wind-resistant.
- All in one easy to carry and lightweight
- Packs down into its own Waterproof stuff sack
- 80% reflective body heat value on one side
- The other side being wind and water resistant
- Durable and good quality, AMK are a good brand in the industry
- Extremely compact and fits into the palm of your hand
- Weighs 193g
What we like about the Nano Heat Blanket from AMK
Its tiny pack size and decent heat protection as well as waterproofing make this an incredible piece of kit for emergency preparedness or survival situations.
What we don’t like about the Nano Heat Blanket from AMK
This product is a single sheet of reflective and waterproof material, meaning it doesn’t have a tube design or can be zipped up to make a true sleeping bag.
This means whilst it will hold up in a survival situation, a lot more heat will escape your body than if it had a sleeping bag style design
- Super lightweight and compact, the Nano Heat Blanket is perfect for a bug-out bag or survival kit in your car.
- Comes with a durable waterproof coating and the blanket is windproof so will protect you from the elements.
- One of the lightest survival sleeping bags on our list.
- Its waterproofness comes down to a durable coating on the surface of the material, rather than the material itself. Though AMK claims it can be used again and again, this may not stand the test of time as well as some of the other survival sleeping bags on our list.
- Can be used as a survival sleeping bag though no tube design so will be a lot harder to get meaningful rest and ensure it’s wrapped around your whole body to retain body heat efficiently.
3. TACT Bivvy Emergency Blanket from Survival Frog
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT COMPACT SLEEPING BAG: Made out of ultra-lightweight HeatEcho reflective polyester film, this thermal survival blanket sleeping bag weighs just 4.8 ounces. It also compresses into a tiny stuff sack, so you can carry this emergency sleeping bag with your survival kit everywhere you go without weighing yourself down.
- MADE FOR EMERGENCIES: The bright orange color of this light weight sleeping bag cover helps rescuers identify you with ease. Plus, the HeatEcho material reflects 90% of your body's heat back to you, making it an essential survival tool and addition to your bug out bag, emergency shelter or camping gear.
- INCREDIBLY DURABLE & 100% WATERPROOF: For its weight and thinness, these sleeping bags will surprise you with their strength. The material ensures these sacks are tear-resistant, windproof AND water proof. Plus, these emergency Tact Bivvy bags feature reinforced taped seams, creating weather-resistant barriers between you and the frigid cold.
- EASY TO USE CONVENIENT TO STORE: Easier than an emergency space blanket, just unpack the ultralight sleeping bag from the included stuff sack and slide inside - also use as a sleeping bag liner and raise your body temperature by 20°! When inside the stuff sack this bivy bag is so small it fits in the palm of your hand - which means you can store it anywhere. We recommend keeping it with your survival kit, in your bug out bag, tent camping gear, and glove box so you have it ready when you need it
- BEST GUARANTEE IN THE INDUSTRY: We guarantee our product with our 6 Month "Any Reason" Refund Guarantee. Ships from USA. Live customer support. Click Add to Cart Now!
Next up our list is the TACT Bivvy Emergency Blanket by Survival Frog. This is another fantastic survival sleeping bag sporting many of the features that set the best aside on our list.
Its tube design and strong, tear-resistant material make the TACT Bivvy a true survival sleeping bag, with a 90% reflective body heat value and is fully weather resistant.
The TACT Bivvy Emergency Blanket from Survival Frog is Reusable and packs away into its own small stuff sack, making it super portable and a great addition to your survival gear, whether in an emergency situation or just on hand in your bug out bag.
Survive in extreme cold winds, rain, or snow.
- 90% reflective body heat value delivered through HeatEco technology TM
- Stuff sack
- Wind and water resistant
- Tube design so true survival sleeping bag
- Durable and long lasting, ready for use after use
- Survival whistle attached to stuff sack
- Tear and puncture resistant
- Weighs 170g
What we like about the TACT Bivvy Emergency Blanket from Survival Frog
We especially love the TACT Bivvy’s tube design, making it a true survival sleeping bag and making you better equipped against the elements in a survival situation.
When it comes to retaining as much of your body heat as possible, sitting or lying in a bag of reflective material is far better than sitting under a blanket.
You’ll be a lot more efficient at keeping that all-important heat in, which is how the TACT Bivvy can boast a 90% reflective body heat value.
What we don’t like about the TACT Bivvy Emergency Blanket from Survival Frog
Unfortunately, the TACT Bivvy Emergency Blanket from Survival Frog doesn’t support a configuration as a shelter, you could use it as a tarp for a makeshift shelter in a survival situation, but its narrower design on account of its tube shape means it won’t be sheltering a very large area.
- One of the smallest and lightest survival sleeping bags on our list, though still unpacking to 7 feet in length.
- Comes with a drawstring stuff sack and survival whistle.
- Tube design, so much more practical and efficient as a survival sleeping bag.
- Smallest and lightest on our list, great for ultralight backpacking.
- Available in tactical orange or green.
- Designed as a survival sleeping bag, but only as a sleeping bag, and lacks features for additional functionality that could make it useful as a shelter.
- The green version will be less visible for rescue teams in a survival situation, though being less conspicuous makes it more suitable for stealth camping.
4. Survive Outdoors Longer Sport Utility Blanket
- Waterproof and windproof material protects you from high winds and the harshest outdoor elements
- Reflects 90% of radiated body heat for a thermal blanket that will keep you warm in an emergency
- Reusable emergency blanket is durable enough for multiple adventures folds up for compact storage
- All purpose blanket can be used as an emergency shelter, ground tarp, gear cover, or load hauler
Next up on our list is the most versatile and heavy-duty survival sleeping bag we’ve found. The Sport Utility Blanket from Survive Outdoors Longer is a marvel of engineering.
It’s made from a single layer of woven polyethylene, rather than several layers of weaker materials sandwiched together.
This makes the Sport Utility Blanket a survival sleeping bag that’s designed to last. Though it’s a blanket rather than a tube design or true sleeping bag, the Sport Utility Blanket from Survive Outdoors Longer is more than big enough to be suitable as a sleeping bag or configured as several types of shelter.
What’s more, the Sport Utility Blanket from Survive Outdoors Longer boats a 95% reflective body heat value, the highest on our list, and as far as we’ve been able to find, the highest on the market, meaning this survival sleeping bag is a truly lifesaving addition to your kit bag for survival situations where it’s your own body heat that’s going to mean the difference in waking up in the morning.
- 95% reflective body heat value
- 6 grommets for use as an A-frame tent, bivvy style shelter, ground sheet and tube tent
- Waterproof and windproof
- Rugged design so can be used again and again without being damaged
- Compact and lightweight
- Tear and puncture resistant
- Weighs 311g
What we like about the Survive Outdoors Longer Sport Utility Blanket
It has to be said, the Sport Utility Blanket from Survive Outdoors Longer is truly heat-reflective with a massive 95% reflective body heat value. This is the highest available on the market so the blanket is sure to keep you warm in a survival situation.
But best of all we like the addition of its 6 grommets for use as various types of shelters. This feature is the Sport Utility Blankets secret weapon and sets it aside from most others on our list.
Others we have reviewed can be configured as shelters, but none as effective and diverse as the Sport Utility Blanket from Survive Outdoors Longer.
The blanket can easily be set up as an A-frame tent or tube tent, as well as a bivvy style tent to wrap yourself up on the floor and seal that all-important body heat in.
What we don’t like about the Survive Outdoors Longer Sport Utility Blanket
While the Sport Utility Blanket can be used as a survival sleeping bag, it’s designed as a blanket and not a bag. This lack of a tube-style design means it will be less efficient at keeping your body heat in and around your body, though its large size and heavy-duty construction will certainly make it easier to get the most out of its 95% reflective body heat value.
Also, it doesn’t come with a stuff sack, unfortunately, meaning though it’s designed for use, again and again, it’s not going to be as convenient for putting away and keeping in your pack as many of the others on our list.
- Highest reflective body heat value of any survival sleeping bag on our list.
- Strongest on our list of survival sleeping bags with the most heavy duty material used making it ideal for repeated use and able to be a permanent addition to your bug out bag or emergency preparedness kit.
- It’s orange design will make it highly conspicuous for search and rescue teams in a survival situation.
- Additional features of grommets make it the most versatile survival sleeping bag on our list.
- Lacks a stuff sack which is going to be inconvenient for packing away and keeping as small as possible when not in use.
- Not a true sleeping bag design, as it is designed as a blanket, not a survival sleeping bag, though can be used as a survival sleeping bag.
- Though the Sport Utility Blanket is still a lightweight and compact bit of kit, it comes in as the heaviest on our list at 311g.
5. Lifesystems Thermal Blanket
- Strong, metallised polyester materials
- Windproof & waterproof
- Radar reflective
Rounding up our list we get to our final product, the Thermal Blanket by Lifesystems.
Reflecting and retaining up to 80% of body heat, Lifesystems Thermal Blanket has been designed for all survival search and rescue operations in mind.
Its compact and lightweight structure brings it in at a solid middle ground to the products we’ve reviewed on our list.
The blanket can be used as a survival sleeping bag, though it is a blanket design and not a tube design.
Made of a strong, metalized polyester material, the Thermal Blanket from Lifesystems is windproof and rainproof, making it more than adequate protection against the elements should you be caught in extreme wind, rain, or snow.
- 80% reflective body heat value
- Wind and waterproof
- Packs down to a compact and lightweight size
- Vivid orange colour mean it is visible for search and rescue teams
- Recommended kit by D of E
- Weighs 220g
What we like about Lifesystems Thermal Blanket
The Thermal Blanket from Lifesystems sports a size large enough to wrap around the entire body and tuck everything in, making it useful as a survival sleeping bag, and though it has one of the lowest reflective body heat values on our list, 80% efficiency still makes it a lifesaving bit of kit in a survival scenario.
But what makes Lifesystems Thermal Blanket so great is its low price point.
What we don’t like about Lifesystems Thermal Blanket
Its lack of a tube design and low reflective body heat value is going to mean the Thermal Blanket from Lifesystems is one of the least effective survival sleeping bags on our list at keeping you warm.
The Thermal Blanket comes without a stuff sack and though it is made of strong material, Lifesystems does not specify it being tear and puncture resistant, meaning it is one of the least durable blankets on our list.
However, in a survival situation, this life-saving technology could really be the difference between life and death.
- Lightweight at 220g, the Thermal Blanket from Lifesystems is a compact and small addition to your bug-out bag or hiking gear.
- Its bold use of orange colour and silver branding make it stand out from a distance and will assist in search and rescue operations.
- Being weather resistant, the Thermal Blanket from Lifesystems will protect you against wind rain and snow.
- By far the cheapest on our list.
- One of the lower reflective body heat values on our list of survival sleeping bags.
- Comes without a stuff sack, or any additions for use as a shelter like grommets or paracord, the Thermal Blanket by Lifesystems has been designed as a minimal blanket or sleeping bag.
- Repeated use is supported but likely not facilitated well by Lifesystems choice of material and lack of stuff sack, though the blanket is designed for repeated use.
- Not a tube-style design so less effective as a sleeping bag, but its large folded-out size makes it effective as a survival sleeping bag in an emergency situation.
So overall it’s the Life Tent Survival Shelter by Go Time Gear that takes the top spot on our list of survival sleeping bags.
We loved its multifunction design as a tube tent, shelter, or survival sleeping bag, and its additional features of a waterproof stuff sack and survival whistle make it one of the most reliable survival sleeping bags we’ve found.
This is a truly lifesaving piece of kit to put in your emergency preparedness bags, bug-out bags, or to keep on hand in the back of the car for whenever that emergency situation arises.
Thank you for reading our Best Survival Sleeping Bag and remember, any emergency blanket or survival sleeping bag is better than nothing and will make a huge difference to your chances of survival in an emergency situation. Build shelter, wrap up warm and conserve energy until the danger has passed.