SHTFPreparedness may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Having a manual method of producing power is an excellent backup in case there is no wind or sun to charge your off the grid batteries in an emergency situation! A bicycle generator will generate between 50 and 100 watts of usable energy. This will allow you to power small items such as smartphones and laptops when SHTF.
Building your own generator requires a number of items:
- bicycle stand (a way of supporting your bike off the ground)
- bicycle frame
- battery charger
- a car battery, or something similar
- electrical components such as wires
Each of these parts needs to work efficiently in order to generate between 50 and 100 watts of usable energy for your generator. See how to build your own bicycle generator, also this would be a great way to stay fit if SHTF!
This is a great way to generate electricity in the event there is no wind and no sun, even if you aren’t into survival fitness.
Here’s a video on how to set up a bicycle generator using a car alternator as an alternative method.
Bonus: Root Cellar That Can Be Used as a Bunker
Do you remember the old root cellars our great-grandparents used to have? In fact, they probably built it themselves, right in their back yard.
If you want to learn how to build a backyard bunker like your grandparents had, without breaking the bank, then you need Easy Cellar.
Easy Cellar will show you:
- How to choose the ideal site
- Cost-effective building methods
- How to protect your bunker from nuclear blast and fallout
- How to conceal your bunker
- Affordable basic life support options
Easy Cellar will also reveal how a veteran, with only $421, built a small nuclear bunker in his backyard.
- America's Natural Nuclear Bunkers: Find the Closest One to Your Home
- 56 Items to Stockpile in Your Easy Cellar