SHTFPreparedness may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Everything you store and use does not have to come from a store. There was a time when people prided themselves on creating impressive tools and projects that fit their needs. Remember, no one can fit your needs exactly.
Here we have an easy to set up, portable cooking device is valuable in so many situations: hiking trips, camping, and especially survival situations where we won’t have access to our normal conveniences. Things like this simple pocket grill can make all the difference.
- Its a very simple build that begins with two pieces of 3/4 inch pipe.
- You will also need about 25 or so bicycle wheel spokes. These are going to be your grill grates.
- You really just need to cut all of your pipe and spokes about 8 inches in length.
- You will want to leave two spokes about 1 inch longer and bend those at a 90-degree angle, at the tip. This will be how you lock the first and last spokes in place.
- Aside from that, once your pipes are the same size you are going to mark 25 small holes that match up on each pipe and drill the holes for your spokes. THese will be fed through from one pipe to the other and create your grill!
Since you have cut all the pieces the same size you are going to be able to break this grill down, slide the pieces of pipe one inside the other, then all the spokes will go inside as well. You will need to simple copper end caps, that fit on your 3/4 inch pipe and you will be able to slide this entire assembly in your pocket or pack.
That is some powerful convenience for a DIY cooking grate for camping and survival. Who knows, you might be able to eliminate something much heavier thanks to this build.