SHTFPreparedness may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
I am not sure if (or when) a natural or man-made disaster may hit our area but we wanted to make sure we have the necessities of life in our home. Who knows how long the power, gas, phone lines, grocery stores will be shut down following an emergency situation.
If we were unable to go to the store for an extended period of time, here are a few random items we found in our shopping trip that may come in handy following an emergency. If you have items that may be helpful to keep well-stocked, feel free to leave a comment so we can benefit from your preparedness efforts.
- Toilet Paper – could you ever really have enough?? Watch for TP to go on sale each week on Deals to Meals to know when you should stock up
- Paper Towels
- Cleaning supplies (409, Windex, Clorox Bleach, Pine-Sol, etc.)
- Thick Rope
- Toothpaste and Toothbrushes
- Batteries – you can’t have enough! It’s only when there is a power outage when you really appreciate how important and comforting light is.
- Insect Repellent
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- LED Lanterns–these are the coolest! They will run 1,000 hours on one set of D batteries
- Hand Sanitizer
- Duck Tape
- Matches & Fire Starters
- Diapers, wipes & baby formula (couldn’t live without these!!)–it is also a good idea to have cloth diapers on hand just in case you run out of diapers
- Shaving Cream & Extra Shavers (hey..our hubbies can still look nice in an emergency) 😉
- Liquid and Hand Soap
- Extra dishwasher and laundry detergent soap
- Carbon monoxide detector that runs on batteries
- Extra propane, camping stoves, butane stoves and other ways to cook & use your food storage
- Sun Oven
- Adult Pain Relievers
- Children’s & Infants Pain/Fever Reducer
- Cough Drops
- Anti-itch Cream
- Sore Throat Spray
- Cold / Cough Syrup
- Flu Medication–TheraFlu, etc.
- Extra Multi-Vitamins
- Allergy Medicine
FREE survival stuff (just pay for shipping)
- Credit Card Knife – This clever tool is an invaluable, possibly life-saving utensil that is equally at home in your wallet, purse, bug-out bag, toolbox, or even the kitchen drawer.
- Everstryke Match – This is a great fire starter! Unless you lose it, the Everstryke will last a lifetime. I never go hiking without this in my pocket or pack can start a fire anywhere even when wet.
- Firekable Paracord Bracelet – This clever tool is an invaluable, possibly life-saving utensil that fits discreetly on your wrist.
- 550 Paracord Shoelace Fire Starters – These are probably one of the coolest, most innovative survival tools around. Hidden away inside of the end caps of these super-durable shoelaces is a concealed fire starter no snooping TSA agent is ever going to discover (they are 100% legal).
- The Paracord Survival Kit – This is the ultimate paracord survival kit! Modeled after the famed M-67 hand grenade, the Paracord Survival Kit is stylish, yet also provides assurance that you’re prepared should you find yourself in an emergency situation. A must-have for every bug out bag!
- Anti-Theft RFID Blocker – Never worry about your money, financials, or identity being compromised by thieves attempting to steal your personal data with the Safe Wallet Shield. A fraudster could simply get near you with an RFID reader in their pocket and invisibly scan and capture your personal information from your credit cards. The Safe Wallet Shield is the perfect solution to shielding your most valuable cards by blocking their RFID signals and protecting you from theft.
Can you think of more items? I must have missed some. I would love to add your items to this list so please head on over to our Facebook Page here and leave us a comment. 🙂
Bonus: How to Make Pemmican, the Original Survival Food
Invented by the natives of North America pemmican was used by Indian scouts as well as early western explorers.
Native Americans spent a great deal of time on the go and depended on having portable, high-energy, highly nutritious, and filling foods that would last for long periods of time without refrigeration.
Pemmican is a portable, long-lasting, high-energy food. It's made of lean, dried meat that's crushed into powder and mixed with hot, rendered fat. This makes it one of the ultimate foods to have stockpiled for when SHTF or disaster strikes.
People really should avert their gaze from the modern survival thinking for just a bit and also look at how folks 150 years ago did it.
These guys were the last generation to practice basic things, for a living, that we call "survival skills" now.